September 05, 2006

Blog for 9/4/06

I find myself being surprised at how comfortable I feel in this city after such a short period of time. I think it really helps that my host mother is an angel, and I´ve made a couple of really awesome girlfriends.

Today was the start of classes- I´m taking 4 total: Grammar, Present Day usage, Spanish-American Literature, and Regional Folk Dance. Actually, 5 classes; I have Spanish Civ twice a week. And I´m supposed to be taking a Current Events class, but they double-scheduled me with another class, so I don´t know what´s going to happen with that.

One thing I´ve noticed about my professors here is that they all talk A LOT. Windbags, one and all...but at least they are charming and intelligent windbags. ^_^ I think they´re afraid that if they don´t say something six different ways, we poor little anglos won´t know what the heck is going on. I don´t know...maybe they´re right...but I think it´s a wee bit too hot for so much chatter.

Speaking of HOT, it was 42 degrees here today...Celsius, that is. Let me break this down for you: That´s 100 degrees Fahrehnheit, plus humidity. ¡UGH! According to the Sevillanos I´ve asked, this type of heat is extremely unusual, even for this time of year. We´re having a heat wave! All of Spain is, to be totally accurate. However, I was also told that each day in September is more beautiful than the last, and that by October the city is paradise. I am SO looking forward to that!

I would like to close by saying that I have discovered a love for Café con Leche, which is in essence a shot of espresso mixed with warm frothed milk, and sugar. It´s delicious, it´s cheap, and there´s a café just around the corner from my school that makes a fine cup. It´s easy to see why the Sevillanos like to spend so much time in cafe´s and bars-- no one rushes here. Actually, I think this little café, the Sierra Mayor, is destined to become "my spot" here in Sevilla...it´s convenient to school, the prices are extremely reasonable, the waitstaff is pleasant, and it´s frequented by locals and foreigners alike. Plus it has great atmosphere...I´ll post some photos later. For now, it´s bedtime...I have a long, hot day to look forward to tomorrow.
¡Buenas noches!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home