September 26, 2006

The Puente (Bridge)

I took my first walk from the center back to the apartment in Triana this afternoon-- I needed a break from the bus, and all of the people and pushing and noise that go with it. I realized as I was walking that it was also the first time I had crossed "my" bridge- The Puente Isabel II. It basically provides a straight path from my side of the river (Triana) to the city center, and I had never walked it before this afternoon.

I really enjoyed the walk- being right in the middle of all the people that I'm usually looking at out of the window of the bus. My ankle hurts something fierce-- the walk is approximately 1.5 miles-- but the trade-off of being happy seems to be worthwhile. I'm really pleased with the progress I've made walking, actually, especially when you consider that I only broke my ankle a little over 4 months ago! Go persistence...

I've decided that I'm going to walk home from school everyday from now on, and take the bus in. It's more direct to walk home, and it only takes an extra 10 minutes. And then there's the little side benefit of exercise...maybe I can work off some of this DELICIOUS food I'm being given!

The city is continuing to grow on me, and although I'm not completely happy here yet, the stretches of happiness are getting longer and more frequent.
I miss being able to go out alone at night and be safe; but here at least there is a wide array of places I can go with my new friends.
I miss the smell of fall in New England-- that mix of falling leaves and cold wind that carries the promise of snow; but here I have the warmth of the sun shining on my face and the breeze from the river.
I miss the solitude of walking in the woods...but here I'm finding that I love how human a city sounds, even at all hours of the day.

I take my little moments of happiness when they come, but I'm still searching for the void in the heart of a country girl where a city can find its place.

1 Comments:

At 2:37 AM, Blogger Amanda said...

Answers to your random thoughts...

About my ankle: I've been doing the walk consistently twice a day for several days now, and I seem to be improving in terms of strength, fexibility, and diminishment of pain. I do have both ibuprofen and an ankle brace...haven't needed the brace yet, but the painkillers have come in handy a few times. I think that as long as I focus on taking good, steady steps and keeping the motion of my foot in line, this will turn out to be really good for my recovery in the long run.

Next question. I think it may be the fact that now that I'm walking around the city, I see it from a more "real" perspective...i.e. I'm not just watching the Spaniards anymore, I'm shopping, eating, jay-walking etc. like one. I'll combine this answer with the next one, about my little victories: things like being able to give someone directions in Spanish, or answer a question about the bus line. I feel more comfortable talking to people, and so I feel more comfortable here. It's all a little abstract to me still, but I think that this comfort has something to do with my feeling less ill at ease here.

I love the questions you ask me about my posts...they help me think things through more clearly, and see things from the perspective of someone reading my blog, so thank you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home